Story by Theresa R Fitzgerald on 01/12/2018Fort McCoy, Wis., was established in 1909. Here is a look back at some installation history from January 2018 and back.
75 years ago Jan. 30, 1943
A short notice in The Real McCoy asked men with "various entertainment abilities" to register with Service Club No. 1.
Soldiers with musical or other skills helped entertain their fellow service members at service clubs throughout Camp McCoy and sometimes in the neighboring towns.
71 Years Ago Jan. 13, 1947
Area civic organizations and the Post Planning board met Jan. 13, 1947, to discuss future development of Camp McCoy, which had been designated a post-war permanent military installation by the War Department. Discussions included development of "a highway parallel to the North Western and Milwaukee Railroad tracks," now known as Highway 21.
30 Years Ago January 1988
Marines from Camp Le Jeune, N.C., settled in and unloaded equipment to be used while conducting winter training at Fort McCoy. Between January and March, members of the 4th Marine Amphibious Brigade took advantage of Fort McCoy's snow-covered terrain and cool temperatures for members of the 4th Marine Amphibious Brigade participating in exercise Alpine Warrior-88.
20 Years Ago January 1998
Soldiers moved into the renovated building 1662, which featured eight "apartments" for unaccompanied permanent-party military personnel.
Building 1662 featured eight apartment-like areas with private entrances, bedrooms, kitchens, and bathroom areas, telephone hookups and cable television connections. Occupants could check out government furnishings or use their own. The building had a shared laundry facility.
Building 1662 was one of five barracks renovated in the 1600 block.
10 Years Ago Jan. 17, 2008
Maj. Gen. James R. Sholar was designated Fort McCoy's new senior mission commander effective Jan. 17, 2008. U.S. Army Reserve Command (USARC) Commanding General Lt. Gen. Jack C. Stultz directed that the commanding generals of the four newly formed regional support commands (RSCs) assume the role of senior mission commanders of installations that primarily support the Army Reserve within their geographical area of responsibility.
This was a change in the previous business model used by USARC when integrating training at dedicated Installation Management Command (IMCOM) installations.
For Fort McCoy, this meant that Sholar was dual-hatted and therefore had the duties of both the commanding general of the 88th RSC and senior mission commander for the installation.
(Article prepared with information from The Real McCoy and Triad newspaper archives of Fort McCoy.)