Story by Theresa R Fitzgerald on 09/14/2018Fort McCoy, Wis., was established in 1909. Here is a look back at some installation history from September 2018 and back.
75 years ago Sept. 4, 1943
Shots fired at Camp McCoy were heard around the world as the Army Hour picked up a five-minute broadcast from the camp as part of its show.
The program included Camp McCoy rifle marksmanship under the direction of Lt. Frank W. Luchowski, 23rd Infantry.
Enlisted men appearing on the program included 1st Sgt. Edwin L. Neyrey, Cpl. Glenn W. Spray, Pfc. James R. Hill, and Pfc. Robert K. Garritt.
Written and directed by Maj. Jack Harris, executive officer of the radio branch of the War Department Public Relations Division, the Camp McCoy portion of the Army Hour came between the pickups from Fort Benning, Ga., and North Africa.
73 Years Ago Sept. 21, 1945
Col. George M. MacMullin, the man who guided Camp McCoy through its war years to national fame as a training center, left the post for a new assignment in the Pacific.
Under MacMullin's command, Camp McCoy gained fame as the Middle West's top combat training center. He assumed command June 17, 1942, at that time in the old camp, now the prisoner of war camp.
In August of that year the new camp opened and it was here that, under MacMullin's command, McCoy gained nationwide fame.
Here the 2nd and 76th Infantry Division and the 100th Infantry Battalion trained for what later proved to be action against the Germans.
A host of other units were also readied for combat against the Nazis and later distinguished themselves in battle.
30 Years Ago Sept. 8, 1988
Retired Col. Robert C. McCoy, 91-year-old son of Fort McCoy's eponym, Robert Bruce McCoy, shared his memories of the installation's past during the Post Library Open House. About 70 people attended the event.
20 Years Ago September 1998
Fort McCoy selected a five-member team to compete in the Army Ten-Miler Oct. 11 at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. All team members were from the Army Reserve Readiness Training Center.
The team captain was Staff Sgt. Horacio Botero, who ran the 10-mile qualifying course at Fort McCoy in a time of 1:14:05. Other team members and their times were: Master Sgt. Mike Montoya, 1:19:27; Maj. Michael O'Brien, 1:22:19; Staff Sgt. Maria Limon, 1:40:20; and Sgt. 1st Class Lillian Sanchez, 1:45:36. The team competed in the Open Mixed Category.
10 Years Ago Sept. 19, 2008
The beginning of the 88th Regional Support Command (RSC)'s contributions to the Army Reserve at Fort McCoy began with the dedication of a new building, named for a Medal of Honor recipient.
Maj. Gen. James R. Sholar, commanding general of the 88th RSC, along with special guests, cut a red, white, and blue ribbon at the official opening of the Capt. Robert E. Roeder Army Reserve Center and 88th RSC Headquarters at Fort McCoy.
The new command's headquarters building also was memorialized during this same event and was named and dedicated after Roeder, who served with the 88th Infantry Division's 350th Regiment during World War II and is one of the division's two Medal of Honor recipients.
The installation's motto is to be the "Total Force Training Center." The post's varied terrain, state-of-the-art ranges, new as well as renovated facilities, and extensive support infrastructure combine to provide military personnel with an environment in which to develop and sustain the skills necessary for mission success.
Learn more about Fort McCoy online at www.mccoy.army.mil, on Facebook by searching "ftmccoy," and on Twitter by searching "usagmccoy.